• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has anyone made an "ammodor?"

Zach

Addicted to race cars
Hey every1,
While reading some random cigar magazine in a local bar, i came across a pretty sweet humidor. A guy had gone to his local military surplus store and picked himself up a metal ammunition box. These things were designed to be airtight and watertight, to keep rounds fresh and more importantly, sterile so the enemy that got hit would have a lesser chance of infection. He lined it with cedar and made an "ammodor" that can hold around 300-500 cigars. :thumbs:

Just curious if anyone owns one of these and wondering how its worked out for ya!
Some pictures of a wooden one that i found on a forum:
ammodor2.jpg

ammodor3.jpg

ammodor4.jpg

ammodor5.jpg

-Zach

Wow, that's hardcore. Creativity never ceases to amaze me. :0

Especially when large ammo boxes can most of the time be had under $20! Plus it makes you look like a badass, lol.

The only drawback i can see with using one of these is it would be more vulnerable to changes in temperature than a coolidor.

-Zach

I know that there is at least one brand (Belina) that packages their smokes in an ammo cabinet. Not high end smokes though.

Heres a few pictures of the ammo box i picked up years ago for $7. It measures 6x17" and is 14" deep. Note the large, durable rubber seal all the way around the lid and the beefy latches to keep her shut and properly sealed. If i were to line it with 3/4" cedar, it would become fairly narrow inside, but still very useable. And to think this was one of the "medium" sized ones available at my local surplus store!
-Zach

dsc01337small8st.jpg

dsc01338small6dk.jpg

Used a 50 cal ammo box for years in the Corps to keep the sticks safe. Takes ALOT of cleaning to get the gun oil smell out though. There is no temp protection so you'll need to keep them stable some other way if you are looking for long term storage but for a herf box they are great.

I bought the Belindas from JR some years back. They were decent everyday smokes, but nothing I'd buy again. The box is lined with thin Spanish cedar veneer but it works. I use this box when we pack up the family truckster for vacation.

The one thing with mine is that it has a rubber seal and is 100% air tight. Cigars can get moldy if you do not open often enough to recirculate the air.

The only downside to using one of these is the smell...I dunno if you can get them new or not but the one I have lying around has a strong odor of gun oil. I dunno if you can get them new (pre gun oil smell) or not but if you could they would make an excellent way to store your sticks.

What would you use for humidification? beads/ppg?

This is a great idea... I'm about to move to the UK and I think an AMMODOR would really protect my sticks over the move. I'll probably do this and cut foam to take up the extra space in the box to reduce impact on the sticks.

DAYUM!! I have one of those 50 cal ammo boxes that I've had since high school and never thought of using it as a replacement for an otter box :0

I gotta go dig it out of the attic.......

Seems that a cigar catalogue I've recently received is selling ammodores! Forget which one it is Holts or JR tobacco.

Darren :)

The smell that you folks are refering to is not gun oil. Only a moron would lubricate his ammo. It's the paint. Probably lead based,since most of these cans are relics from WWII, Korea, and the Green Suck. I would not store my cigars in them unless I had no other choice.

Doc.

While it is true the smell isn't gun oil it is a lubrication for the links in the belt. So I guess in some cases you can have lube on your ammo just not on the actual cartridge. The box I used was made in '65 according to the date stenciled on it. A good steam cleaning took care of all the smell and oils and it worked just fine after that.

Devil Doc said:
The smell that you folks are refering to is not gun oil. Only a moron would lubricate his ammo. It's the paint. Probably lead based,since most of these cans are relics from WWII, Korea, and the Green Suck. I would not store my cigars in them unless I had no other choice.

Doc.
[snapback]253761[/snapback]​

Yeah a good soaking/scrubbing with Simple Green also does the trick nicely! :thumbs: